What Does CoQ10 Do For The Body?
Our body is a complex structure that depends on enzymatic activity to propel or ignite the formation, maintenance, and daily functions of cellular DNA. While many people believe that enzymes are only needed to help in the digestion of foods, there are thousands of additional life-altering roles other enzymes and coenzymes facilitate in the human body. Some enzymes have not been properly identified yet, however Coenzyme Q10 is one of the most important catalysts of nearly every biological function in the human body. This coenzyme is essential for all cellular energy, new cell development and the regeneration of damaged cells.
Coenzyme Q10, or CoQ10, is a vitamin-like compound called ubiquinone that fuels the cellular ATP energy machine of the body by oxidizing sugar in the cells. The redox process of CoQ10 magnifies the speed of chemical reactions to propel protons from the outside of the cell’s mitochondria to its interior. The friction of the proton movement fuses a mono-phosphate molecule to Adenoside Diphosphate (ADP) to create Adrenal Triphosphate (ATP), our body’s energy source. This energy component is the life-blood that maintains all the bodily functions, such as circulation, breathing, digestion, motion and function of the nervous system. Organs with the highest concentrations of CoQ10 are the heart, liver and kidney.
Advantages of the CoQ10
- CoQ10 oxygenates the body and fights free radicals that can attack and destroy cells. The redox property of CoQ10 increases singlet free radical oxygen molecules to react and combine together, eliminating free radicals.
- Clinical studies demonstrate that CoQ10 supplementation improves muscular strength and tissue rejuvenation. The basis of all muscle function is the creation of mechanical energy.
- Athletes find increased stamina and energy when taking CoQ10 supplements.
- Scientific data indicates CoQ10 protects the heart from the side effects of certain types of drugs such as Adriamycin.
- Some researchers say that CoQ10 supplements can be used successfully to protect the body from heart stroke, high blood pressure, Alzheimer’s and gum disease.
- There is good news for the HIV patients too, as CoQ10 helps boost the immune system.
Many doctors recommend taking 90 to 400 mgs per day of Coenzyme Q10 to support energy, brain and heart health. There are also several foods that contain CoQ10. It can be found in soybean, mackerel, Sardines, peanuts, beef and spinach. As every biological process throughout the body must be fueled by the production of ATP, the human body would not function without CoQ10.