Pros & Cons of a High Protein Diet
What Are The Pros and Cons Of A High Protein Diet?
A diet which is consisted of high protein and is focused on supplying energy to the body can be identified as a high protein diet. The amount of calories needed for the body is supplied by all the nutrients. An average diet offers 10%-15% calories from its sources of protein. The high protein diet offers 25% – 35% caloric need from its sources. The high protein diet cuts down on fruits and vegetables while increasing the amount of food with high protein. The amount of protein in the diet can be increased by adding lean meat, fish and soybean to the diet. Though the high protein diet is very popular among many people, who care for weightless food practices, there are both negative as well as positive features.
Pros of the high protein diet
- High protein diets are very useful in the process of weight loss. Certain types of diets can cut down 13.5 kg just in 28 days.
- It is very essential to have protein, as it is needed for various types of activities in the body. They are important to the growth and the maintenance of the cells in the muscles, skin, bones, blood cells and many more. Protein is one of the basic components in hormones and enzymes.
- The lean muscle mass can be increased by consuming a high protein diet.
- The power of concentration can be improved through the reduction of carbohydrates and low fat diets.
- The high protein diet can be very helpful to patients, who are under the threat of certain diseases such as type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, heart diseases and obesity.
- It is identified that high protein diets can be very helpful for females, who are suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome.
Cons of the high protein diet
- The high protein diets are mostly associated with higher amount of animal fats, and animal fats may consist of more saturated fat than you want to consume. These saturated fats can increase the risk of cancer.
- As there are not enough fruits and vegetables in the high protein diets, they do not have the required amount of antioxidants and some important vitamins such as vitamin C, carotene, useful bioflavonoid and minerals. This will pave the way to a nutritional deficiency in the body. Therefore, it is good to supplement your diet with a vitamin and mineral supplement.
- As a result of cutting down on fruits and vegetables the intake of dietary fibers will also be decreased. This could cause issues for the health of your bowels and digestive system.
- High protein diets sometimes cause the odor of the body to increased, because there will be an increased development of ketones, which cause you to smell.
- Many researchers have pointed out that the decrease of weight in the process of consuming high protein diets take place as a result of less water in high protein foods. Therefore, a high protein diet is not a permanent way to reduce weight.
The high protein diet is very useful in many occasions, but it should be carefully planned. The required amount of vegetables and fruits must be maintained in order to consume the right amount of carbohydrates and the other nutrient. You could also supplement your diet with vitamins and minerals to provide your body with the nutrients that you miss.