7 Low Blood Sugar Symptoms
The sugar level in the blood can control the human body. Sugar provides energy to the body, and there is a mechanism, which helps to maintain the appropriate sugar level in the blood. Sometimes this mechanism fails and the sugar level moves up or down. When there is less energy in the body, the blood sugar level goes down.
Low blood sugar is not a disease itself, but it may be a sign or a symptom of another disease. The body needs a certain amount of sugar (glucose) to generate energy. Low blood pressure is termed as Hypoglycemia in medical field. Hypoglycemia can be described as an abnormal low level of the blood sugar.
This issue can be divided into 3 categories according to the severity.
- Mild low blood sugar – blood sugar level is less than 70 (mg/dl)
- Moderate low blood sugar- blood sugar level is less than 40( mg/dl)
- Severe low blood sugar- blood sugar level is less than 20 (mg/dl)
Constant intake of insulin or other treatments for diabetes can reduce the blood sugar level to a very low level. But low blood sugar level can be seen also in patients, who are infected with fever.
Symptoms of Hypoglycemia
- Hunger is one of the prominent symptoms of this issue. The patient will show an abnormal appetite.
- Sweating can be identified as one of the major symptoms; it takes place during the night in most cases.
- Shakiness is another symptom of this issue. The patient is not in a position to perform anything in the proper manner.
- The functions of the brain may be affected resulting in visual disturbances. These patients can experience blurred or doubled vision.
- The patients cannot walk or stand in the proper manner.
- Muscle twitching can be identified as another symptom.
- Heart palpitations can also be witnessed by the patients, who have to undergo this situation.
Fortunately, the treatment of low blood sugar is simple. Patients need to get their blood sugar levels above 70(mg/dl). This can be achieved by consuming high sugar food items, appropriate supplements or doctor prescribed medication. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, don’t hesitate to see your doctor and get your blood sugar level checked.