Men’s Health Tips: Heart and Prostate
For many men, taking a daily regiment of supplements ranks far behind work, sleep and football. But paying a little more attention to health in the short term can result in big payoffs in the long term. If nothing else, men should make it a priority to take a daily multi that contains special antioxidants for men.
A good Men’s Multi can keep them on the road to better health. Men should consider adding more specific herbs and antioxidants to their daily routine. Here are a few supplements in particular that have shown to have health benefits for men.
Zinc is a mineral that supports optimal enzyme function. For men this covers the development of healthy sperm and male hormones. Recent studies have also shown zinc to support non-cancerous swelling of the prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia).
Selenium is another mineral that has proven benefits for both prostate health and healthy sperm development. Selenium has also been shown to reduce fatty buildup in the arteries.
Herbs like Saw Palmetto, Pygeum, and Pumpkin Seed also provide essential support in Prostate Health.
For men concerned with heart health, garlic and folic acid are two additional supplements to consider. Studies have shown garlic to lower both blood pressure and cholesterol levels as well as improve blood circulation. Folic acid can help reduce the risk of both heart attack and stroke. Other heart supporting nutrients to look for are Cysteine HCl, EDTA and CoQ10.
No matter which supplements you choose, none are a replacement for a healthy diet and exercise program. Here are some tips to kick-start your renewed focus on health and well being.
- Replace red meat with fish, chicken or legume-based meals when possible. Start by replacing one or two meals a week and work up to having red meat as the exception rather than the rule.
- Limit your intake of alcoholic beverages
- Get moving – try to get at least 30 minutes of cardio exercise daily. Remember, little things like taking the stairs, playing with the kids and mowing the lawn (push mower) count.
- Work on expressing your emotions. Keeping everything bottled up inside can have an adverse effect on your health. Find time to talk to your partner, a trusted friend or a counselor.
- Bad dental hygiene is now linked to heart disease so schedule and keep routine appointments with your doctor and dentist.